> 8 November 2007
The Lisbon Conference in Pictures
Reports from the Conference
- 13 November 2007 Closing Roundtable: Next steps for business and biodiversity in Europe
- 13 November 2007 Plenary Session: Towards an EU initiative on biodiversity & business
- 13 November 2007 Business Roundtable: Business perspectives on biodiversity challenges
- 12 November 2007 Keynote speech: Achim Steiner, UNEP Executive Director
- 12 November 2007 High-level Roundtable: the 2010 business challenge
- 12 November 2007 Opening Plenary: European biodiversity commitments & business
- Reports: Monday 12 November
- Proceedings (pdf, 1.8Mb)
Portuguese Presidency of the EU Council and European Commission High Level Conference on Business & Biodiversity
> 7 May 2007
Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Lisbon
12-13 November 2007
In 2000, in Lisbon, the EU Heads of State and Government agreed to make the EU “the most competitive and dynamic knowledge-driven economy by 2010”.
In 2001, the EU further committed to “halting biodiversity decline by 2010”.
In 2006, the European Commission launched a biodiversity communication, which included a commitment to engage the private sector in partnerships for biodiversity.
Now, in 2007, under the Portuguese Presidency, business leaders, biodiversity experts, NGOs and policy makers, will return to Lisbon to explore how European business can improve performance through biodiversity responsibility.
The conference will contribute to an improved understanding of the competitive advantages gained from conserving biodiversity and using biiological resources sustainably. Importantly, the conference will provide guidance to the European Commission’s new initiative on business and biodiversity.
In November, in Lisbon, the European 2010 agenda for business and biodiversity will be established.